View more on these topics

Aberdeen buys Glasgow Investment Managers

Aberdeen Asset Management has bought Glasgow Investment Managers for £8.95m, with the investment team led by Iain Lynn joining the Aberdeen Group.

Aberdeen has acquired Sutherland Holdings, which holds 50.1 per cent interest in Glasgow Investment Managers, and will buy the remaining 49.9 per cent of the company from Shires Income.

In a statement to the stockmarket last week, Aberdeen said that it would pay £6.25m plus the value of net tangible assets which is estimated at £2.7m.

Glasgow Investment Managers manages three investment trusts – Glasgow Income Trust, Shires Income and Shires Smaller Companies, as well as funds on behalf of a number of institutional clients. Total assets under management at the end of July 2007 were around £429m.

Aberdeen chief executive Martin Gilbert says: “We are delighted that Iain Lynn and his team have agreed to join Aberdeen. They have demonstrated good performance over a long period, they manage well established funds and they have a very strong relationship with their clients.

“We have a long established strategy of using selective acquisitions to complement our rapid organic growth and these trusts represent an exciting addition to the range of investment companies under our management.

“The acquisition of Glasgow will strengthen our UK equity capabilities and enhance Aberdeen’s position as a leading manager of closed-end funds.”


Quality street

Last week, I returned to the airwaves for the first time in some months. The subject matter seemed particularly apposite, given the state of markets. How should investors go about buying shares was the question posed to me. Inevitably, it led into whether private individuals ought to buy shares direct and what was my opinion of the wild gyrations in the market at present.

The heir apparent

What new inheritance tax proposals could mean for financial services

Standard Life to restructure private equity business

Standard Life has announced its private equity investment management business will be restructured as a limited liability partnership, SL Capital Partners LLP.Forty per cent of the LLP will be owned by nine members of Standard’s investment management team including chief executive David Currie, chief investment officer Peter McKellar and investment director Stewart Hay.In a statement […]

FSA sticks the boot in

Like Ned Cazalet and doubtless many others, I have been concerned about the possible return of MVRs on with-profits funds in the wake of the recent turbulence in world stock-markets, not to mention the untoward effects on bond valuations of a series of increases in the Bank of England base rate. Five years ago, it […]


News and expert analysis straight to your inbox

Sign up


    Leave a comment


    Why register with Money Marketing ?

    Providing trusted insight for professional advisers. Since 1985 Money Marketing has helped promote and analyse the financial adviser community in the UK and continues to be the trusted industry brand for independent insight and thought leadership.

    News & analysis delivered directly to your inbox
    Register today to receive our range of news alerts including daily and weekly briefings

    Money Marketing Events
    Be the first to hear about our industry leading conferences, awards, roundtables and more.

    Research and insight
    Take part in and see the results of Money Marketing's flagship investigations into industry trends.

    Have your say
    Only registered users can post comments. As the voice of the adviser community, our content generates robust debate. Sign up today and make your voice heard.

    Register now

    Having problems?

    Contact us on +44 (0)20 7292 3712

    Lines are open Monday to Friday 9:00am -5.00pm